Saturday 26 June 2010

Race Week and The Hoppings

I can not believe I am writing this! It is too hot in the garden so I left the patio still tufty with a few remaining grassy cracks, moved to weed the border in the shadow of the beech tree, had an al fresco sandwich and have now moved indoors to wait for the sun to drop from its midday zenith.



We Ladies walked at the site of Gateshead's Garden Festival, held some years ago; we could see fields of poppies but unfortunately quite a lot of dog muck too- why is it that some folks think if they are at the beach or countryside they don't have to clear up after their dogs?

Race Week in Newcastle is a big deal; in bygone times the Temperance Society set up a 'dance' (The Hoppings) or fair on the Town Moor in objection and opposition to the gambling which happened at Race Week.... (Races = from which we get Grandstand Road between the Duke's Moor and Town Moor). Race Week is the last full week in June and the Hoppings come every year forming the largest travelling Fair in Europe. We walked over the 3+ aisles of side shows, roundabouts, waltzers, dodgem cars, candyfloss (& fudge....& chips!!) stalls; it is an assault on the senses with noise, lights, colour, smells, caravans, vardos,showmen, gypsies and masses of visitors. I missed J cos we always go in the freak show- isn't that terrible, I hear you say! He has gone in there curious since he was little but hayfever & age prevent him from coming with us these days- sad!

The Northumberland Plate goes on for 3? days this week at Gosforth Park Race Course; today is Ladies Day and tonight taxiless, butterfly-coloured girls will tiptoe gingerly along the Great North Road's gravelled paths back to the city (via the 3 Mile Inn) clutching feathery, flowered fascinators in one hand and diamante strappy sandals hanging from their other hot little mitt!

I hope they have their factor 50 on as it has been a blistering hot day and we have all had a reminder when D3 bravely had 2 moles removed at the RVI. I am gravystained between my toes- I will get the hang of this nonstreak ,streaky mousse eventually

D3 has also howled at me as I finished 'Cold Mountain' by Charles Frazier.... I have optimistically trudged in all weathers and in all sorts of terrain with Inman in that book!!!!! She knew! Now I have started to read 'The Bookseller of Kabul' by Asne Seierstad

No comments:

Post a Comment