Tuesday 1 March 2011

St.David's Day

I am such a dutiful wife! I have adorned H1's chest with a daffodil; he has been known to sing his national anthem on radio and at assemblies of various sorts. I wish we had a national anthem that I really liked- not that I am antiRoyal but I like to 'walk upon England's mountains green'..... and today is filled with glorious sunshine and daffodils in the house and crocus in gardens.



I also know I am remiss in not blogging but I have felt alternately too miserable and then too busy to put my feelings on paper- oh! this isn't paper but you know what I mean.



H1 and I shivered along the white carpets of Snowdrop Walk (and aconites)at Howick Hall; it took a warm by the fire and a cuppa in the posh tearoom in the Hall to revive us.



Belsay Hall was similarly snowdropped with an adjournment to the Blacksmith's wherein I resisted the fruit tart. The gardens of the hall are showing sneak peeks and promise of what is to come in rhododendrons.



We are being enriched with culsher again!



The 'Live' theatre provided us with a brilliant and awful night watching 'Faith and Cold Reading'. Stephen Tomkinson and cast were brilliant BUT the seats were appalling; the manager reckons no seat has a restricted view but they have had so many complaints about the gallery's stageview they are going to lift the chairs.



D1 and I went to see Lee Mead at the Sage- he can be my 'Joseph' anytime. Laura White who sang with him (and Sir Bobby Robson's memorial match at Ipswich?) was wonderful.



Elaine Paige belted out from the Sage; yes , a little breathy at times but I enjoyed the 'Memories'.



We have had D2 and fiance home; D2 took over 3 rooms most of the week icing wedding cakes for a friend..... but we found time to celebrate 2 birthdays, a drama group get together and the wedding!



Hugh Dixon, curator retiring, from Seaton Delaval Hall swansonged an amusing, informative talk to a packed Trinity this month.



OMG it is March 1st already. This time next week will be Shrove Tuesday and I will be flipping pancakes before the start of Lent with Ash Wednesday.

We have seen lots of wild life of late (forgive the pun!); Howick provided us with swans, 8 herons,and 2 deer but they were too quick to camera-catch! Our back fence seated a sparrow hawk yesterday; Spring has sprung and our resident ring-collar doves are courting- Roberta is repudiating and rejecting Robbie so far....... wise girl!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mrs P. we went up North today and OH said there was more wildlife to see in our back garden than we saw going up to Otterburn then across country via Hoystone. Saw 1 duck and that was in my aunty's front garden. Felt at times we were in an old short wheelbase landrover as the roads were so bad. You really have talented daughters and should be very proud of them. Love Mrs H xx

    ReplyDelete