Saturday 11 February 2012

Me

I was just thinking the other night....... bodes bad that , doesn't it?!

D3 and I were delivering leaflets in the dark (while trying to keep upright on the black ice); we were alerting locals to the BIG WALK which is to let the Council know how we feel about the massive & unnecessary development on our green belt.

What is it about me that I do all the daft things I do- collect magazines for local clinics & surgeries, specs for Vision Aid Overseas, stamps to buy guide dogs, gift bags for a ward in RVI where patients have to carry their drains, books which I bookcross, teach the next generation- and if you stand still long enough I will recycle you! Is it about tidying the place? or as H1 scornfully tells me that I am crusading- to save the World? There is a folorn hope! But Mother Teresa said ' every little drop eventually makes an ocean'......

I live and love the NOW but.....

I love tradition so I love history, genealogy and the past generally but..... I believe in the future- thus I try to make it better for future generations- even if I am not going to be there to see it.

I guess I would have been like Admiral Lord Collingwood who, though back in Northumberland so little- when he was here at home he (& his wife) always had acorns in his pocket which he planted to provide oaks in the future (for the shipbuilding of the English fleet).

I can not remember it off the top of my head- but I really like the brass plate set in the pavement at the top of Grainger Street in Newcastle about 'My past is my present to your future' Does anyone know what it actually says?

This week's veggie box contained lots including a butternut squash (and Jerusalem fartichokes) so I am after recipes agin!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12.2.12

    Hi Mrs P. some people are full of good intentions that they never get round to doing, but you actually do it. Hope you are well,
    Love Mrs H xx
    PS the secret word is canter so that is how I am imagining you x

    ReplyDelete