Monday 15 July 2013

The joys of getting older?


'Where have you been?' I hear you ask.
 'Oh hither and thither' I reply.
The joy of being retired is when the phone rings and D2 says, 'Mum do you fancy coming down?' we can hit the road in ten minutes. When D3 requests me to come on a bike ride or to check out a new plant in her garden or to come to tea, I can down tools till tomorrow.

If D1 announces an impromptu get together to catch up on episodes of 'Elementary' we are there!

H1 wonders....'shall we watch the Apprentice now?' I agree the Humax has too much stored due to we viewers not having much spare time (do you like that?)

Yes we were Wimbledon watchers
The barbecue has actually been doing its hot work.
Britain has had a heatwave (not like last soggy summer!) and when you are retired you can sit outside in the garden and read......

I am still ploughing my furrow with Hilary Mantel and Thomas Cromwell to Wolf Hall. After many years of asking I finally got given 'Long Walk to Freedom' poignant in view of Nelson Mandela's current health situation.

After a lifetime of a bell-controlled student chatterfilled schedule, the freedom of an 'open day' is strange but so liberating.
So what are we doing during a hot fortnight? Decorating the study! But at the drop of a hat, I wrap my paint brush up in clingfilm, put the lid on the emulsion paint pot and head for the garden or beach.

There is always time for work tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment