Sunday 17 November 2013

Westonbirt Arboretum



Some years ago we took D3 to be a bridesmaid at a wedding held at Westonbirt (Gloucestershire) Surrounded by trees of every variety known to man -this is the National Arboretum- I was entranced.



The acers (Japanese Maples) were pretty and manifold.



I kept reiterating that I would like to return in the autumn as I knew the colours would be glorious- but when exactly to pinpoint the best time? Particularly when the south was due to be hit by the 'St Judas' storm- which in fact missed us & the arboretum....



With so many other things going on is our lives, we combined a visit to another friend who shares the wish for the forest's seasonal colours, with both a trip to Wales and the Arboretum.



The photos which you can click on to enlarge- do not show the colours as brightly as I would like- the glades of multi coloured acers took my breath away.


Rumour hath it that England's autumn colours are better than the Fall in New England this year- due to our sunny Summer; certainly the change in colour has been late this year, or so everyone thinks.
But now the temperature has certainly dropped; I have even given in and put the autumn duvet on so the nights must be getting chillier; Durham had its first snow fall while we were down in the South West.


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4.12.13

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making enquiries for someone re Featherstone Castle- but I did not think the enquirer would want their e address publicised on here so have deleted it. Enquirer- I am working on what you have asked about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Featherstone Castle
    Haltwhistle
    Northumberland
    NE49 OJG

    John Clark 01434 320202 is the contact number and is the one on the web if you google Featherstone Castle.


    ReplyDelete