Monday 26 May 2014

Afternoon tea

While D1 is off work we have been trying to take her to places she has not been to before. Mainly for afternoon tea! This phenomenon used to be common in Britain- but faded out only to enjoy a revival in the last few years.
We received vouchers for afternoon teas in various places eg hotels so have started to grade them as we visit.

In the past I have been with friends to

Horton Grange- the worst afternoon tea I have imbibed in. Dry madeira cake I remember!

Hilton (Gateshead)- great view over the Tyne and Quayside; reasonable price for a pleasant tea.

More recently I have nibbled at........

Eshott Hall- Ok value with beautiful snowdrops, stained glass windows on the stairs, red squirrels, and tiny cakes (which were much of a muchness- maybe because there was a group of about 12 of us)

The Grand (Tynemouth)- currently £10.50? lovely views over the sea, good sandwiches (you choose out of selection of fillings on offer). not such good scones!

Beamish Hall Hotel- large, beautiful dining room. reasonable price; fillings and cakes change each month.

Jesmond Dene House- more costly than the others above and put an automatic 10% on your bill which I will not pay unless I choose after considering the service! However 3 good scones(plain with cream & jam, cheese, fruit), tasty sandwiches (& like Grand and Beamish, staff are helpful when it comes to allergies to ingredients) and 'different' (if rather sweet) cake selection.

We did not 'do' afternoon tea at Bayberry Hollow in Tanfield village but loved their food.

I have had mixed reports of afternoon tea at Doxford Hall;
Eslington Villa does not do such delights.
I hear I should try the White Monk's teas in Blanchland but I need to space the teas out or my waistline won't fit into my waistbands and they are tight as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment