Sunday 11 July 2010

Runaway


Del Shannon, Roy Orbison and I have made 35 pots of (strawberry, gooseberry and rhubarb&ginger) jam today; I was sweating cobs to a rolling boil! it is so overcast but close- so humid the washing didn't dry till tonight; evening...the best part of the day....then the sky blackened and we had a little rain though in parts of the county it poured during last night.

N.Northumberland (Rothbury) has been televised all week as a wanted man had taken refuge there after shooting 3 people & killing one of them. He ended up shooting himself according to the media but I have mixed feelings about this incident.



It has been a strange week; a cuppa with my bilingual friend M...a meal at Zizzis before an brilliant visit to Moorbank Botanical Gardens with Northumberland and Newcastle Society- on Claremont Rd- and you would never know it was there. D3 and I had a cityguided walk of Whickham which was really enlightening- what a lovely town centre with all sorts of elegant buildings tucked away. We also ate Indian at Aroma with E&J.



Our house has the most unmanicured lawns on the block- our unkempt, deliberately untreated, grass buzzes with bees on clover. The pots are full of flowers like fragrant nemesia and hostas from M., my strawberries from H.are soooo sweet & full of flavour.


The borders are radiant with Rose of Sharon and loosestrife; the perfume patch drifts the scent of roses across the patio. Mmmm! I love summer and not having to struggle into layers of clothes. The wild sweet peas are dying back- I wonder if P. came to dig some out as I suggested.



I finished 'The Bookseller of Kabul' and moved onto 'Man and Boy' but I intend to Bookcross my Bookseller- anyone want it? My heart went out to the women particularly Leila; it is an easy book to read which takes you right into the heart of Afghan life- Westerners should read this book to taste a culture so different from ours. Education is the answer but both genders will find change difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment