Monday 4 October 2010

Autumn days

Mmm! On the doorstep tonight were apples which P&A have scrumped from their trees... tarts, crumbles, purees, chutneys....Did he take sweetpeas while here?



Life is whipping past so quickly I missed the autumn equinox on September 21/22nd; I like all the seasons in England but nights drawing in and clocks going back an hour(October 30/31st this year)do dismay me a little.

Torrential rain coming down like stair-rods has been the mood of the last week. Is this responsible for the worsening ache in my gammy middle finger? Pain gives me a rigid digit and it locks hooked when I tie my boots or wield a knife - which will relieve H1 when he infuriates me and I am working with a Sabatier! C. says she has been told it is a sign of Viking heritage.

Heaven has been partying this week as it has been the Feast day of the archangels- Michael, Gabriel and Raphael; what happened to Uriel? Raphael fits in with the book I have just finished; Miss Garnet found there were seven archangels according to the book of Tobias which is in the Apocrypha.

A walk at Otterburn pattered heavily on our water proofs evoking memories of green ridge tents of childhood holidays; 'Don't touch the sides of the tent!' meant you just had to put a finger on the canvas. The MOD red flag was up but our leader M checked with the local farmer who said it was all right to walk up on the moor as they weren't using live ammunition that day!!!



Today's blue sky and golden sunshine brought temperatures of 19 degrees and a sweat as we stormed along the Derwent Walk at Swalwell.

Tonight C and I have been to see 'Made in Dagenham'; I recommend and commend it to you, girls! The struggle of the Ford, female, upholstery workers in the 1960's was so gutsy and won equal pay for women in Britain and eventually for woman all over the 'industrialised' world; Sandie Shaw (there is bare foot from the past!) who worked at the car plant sang the credits through. Also well done to the BBC which made this film!

No comments:

Post a Comment