Thursday 14 October 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Keep abreast of the times.....October is Breast Cancer Awareness month so check it out girls! All the Debenhams stores (Lingerie department /fitting rooms) have a collecting box for your unwanted bras for which there are all sorts of uses and Breast Cancer Campaign reaps the rewards of gaining some funds too. So sort your drawers out (!)and keep your undies out of landfill!!!!!
I am on the hunt for a bonny, blushed shirt for H1 to wear on October 29th when we shall both 'wear it pink'; there is some controversy over pink being too frivolous for such a serious disease BUT I reckon if it focuses attention on checking breasts, funding, research etc then pink is fine and female.

Having heard there were possible LibCon cuts in the pipeline for the financial support charities get from Government, I approached my MP; she sent me letters responded from the Minister of Health suggesting that yes! the former 'matchfunding' (charity finds money & governmment gives a matching amount)will probably be abandoned; the MP's words for this included 'absurd'! How can charities finance longterm labs,staff and research without a sustained supply of money?

Walking has been wrapped around a 'Nurse Nancy' trip to London; first we circled from 'The Rat' at Anick via Fawcet and Stagshaw along country lanes red with holly berries and robins.

On our next stroll we went woodland; stealthily skulking in the Plessey undergrowth, we Ladies peered at the Wansbeck wildlife; a large, grey heron high-stepped in the river, spearing the innocent and unsuspecting while two red squirrels scampered in the branches above us. To move would mean to rustle so camera stayed in my backpack.

Latterly our group walked from Dissington Hall which was built for a relative of Lord Collingwood {my hero!}. we lunched at Milbourne; am I weird that I love tombstones? they contain so much history and mystery. Spike Milligan's epitaph is written in Gaelic and says ' I told them I was ill' -so Goons and Spikey. A Milbourne gravestone maintains 'Here shall you see no enemy'- a quote from Shakespeare's 'As You Like It'- but why? What did that mean in reflection on the lady's life?.... When did the Witchfinder General damn the innocent of so many villages? Do the dates fit?.... Anyway- in the land of the living, Dissington provided us with cuppas and cakes and diverted funds to a special school for outdoor play equipment- we all approved of that so forced the chocolate cake down!

Three cups of coffee at Mimmo's meal with friends last night has disturbed the quality of my sleep; throughout the night I thought of so much to put in my weblog until I eventually got out of bed and my mind has blanked- so I need sustenance. Mmm! Porridge

No comments:

Post a Comment