Friday 28 January 2011

Hurrah!

Thank you Ciao! a comment means someone out there is reading my blog!

I have just discovered my snowdrops too; Spring is coming! Should I say that in view of last January/February's snow? But I also spy winter jasmine in flower on the back fence. I need my camera....and daylight......then I will come back and maybe add some pictures to my blog.

Talking of gardens did you know I was on the Government leylandii Working Party? I must confess I think leylandii are the most boring, uninspiring of vegetation and I really don't think 'real' gardeners plant them; in fact I think they should be sold under licence!!!! Our garden is so different from the garden we originally bought as we are now darkened by leylandii hedges to the south and west of us. They provide lazy, perimeter hedges which grow out of control of their owners; and so 'unEnglish'. One is only allowed to grow them (& all boundaries to a max -if I remember our legislation rightly- of 2 metres). Even the lady from the Council told us we'd have problems as we had two leylandii to the south of us which were going to block sunshine for us and the Court in the future. I know that one of the neighbours has someone's row of leylandii above her path and is frightened by them. But 'Live and let live' or life would really get to you, wouldn't it?

When I get a minute I'll tell you the tale of the beeches.... more neighbourhood quirkiness!

1 comment:

  1. Hi how come you weren't on the "working party" when we were felling our Leylandii a year or so back? We took out dozens of leylandii and cut the ones left down by a half, and didn't kill a single plant that was in the garden. Don't know how much we would have had to pay to get someone in and I know they would not have cared where they threw the trees down.
    Keep up the good work Love Mrs H xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete