Monday 25 July 2011

...there's more!

... and I have just been told the wine was £23 a bottle so that's an extra £69 on the bill to share!

There's been more rain too- 6 days of downpour but at last the sun is out. Schools are out too for the summer holidays.



This has been a period of celebratory lunches and meals out for birthdays and retirements: I recommend Basilico's fish soup, Classico's starter mushrooms.... it is always this way- feast then famine. Fascinators and beautiful frocks galore on Ladies Day since we went over to Gosforth on a big Race day on the Northern calendar! 'Buddy' at Whitley Bay Playhouse was fun! Marie S. had a small part but that is how to make a small part steal the show!

We all went to Frankie and Benny's before- aaaagh! Harry Potter! I just loved it- though D1 should go on Mastermind for her Potter knowledge of all 7 books (such excitement- & poignancy it is now finished).



The garden looks a little bedraggled at present yet this should be a beflowered time; it seems to look blowsy and emptyish! D3 and I have bullied H1 into leaving the lawn uncut- so the clover is a buzzing carpet of bees! Most people have a tidy, cut lawn with no clover & no bees- but not ours!Defenders of the environment! Also hebe, Rose of Sharon, Japanese anemone, roses and the last of the loosestrife are all providing some visiting opportunities for the pollinators. BUT after the rain, while I was 'walking the bounds' I tidied a clematis only to see a cartoon-like cloud form above my head then aim like an arrow for me while I RAN! Wasps! I got stung! Just as well I had my souwester coat on which afforded some protection from the beasties!



The world has gone mad and brutal. Norway has lost its youth and experienced a bomb in Oslo and terror and death in a youth camp. I hope they don't cover the court proceedings publicly so he does not achieve the notoriety he probably wants.

In UK, recession has factories closing down all over and lots of people finished from jobs or are worried about keeping their employment; I can not imagine why people are immigrating to UK thinking it has Dick Whittington's pavements of gold. Europeans watch Greece to see if economic support will aid its dire situation.

Somehow a garden, no matter how small, provides solace and quiet tranquillity from the world; I suppose rather ostrich like.

No comments:

Post a Comment