Saturday 21 January 2012

Vegetable boxes! The excitement!

I can just hear you all saying, "What?!"

Last week's veg. box had the usual...potatoes, orange carrots (not the pale shop bought ones!), onions, a savoy cabbage, half a white cabbage, parsnips,...... all local (what, in terms of fuel/energy consumption, is the point of using companies from the South of England?), all seasonal, all organic so no chemicals- and deposited at various, local to you, drop off points for you to collect.

Forest Gump said,' Life is like a box of chocolates- you never know what you are going to git'- the same applies to your vegetable box! We also got a BEETROOT! Agh! H1 doesn't like beetroot or so he declares .... what to do with it? So I scrubbed it, boiled it for an hour, cooled it, skinned half & served it with a 'dinner' (in roast potato sized pieces)- H1 declares that it was nice- bit vague but positive at least.

Next night I made up a recipe & served it with grilled sea bass- WHAT A HIT!!

CITRUS BEETROOT
Simmer together
half of a cooked beetroot (in macedoine sized cubes )
1 desertspful marmalade
1 " sugar
juice of an orange
2cloves

This week's exciting extras in the box?- I admit I had to confirm my guesses via Google Images- celeriac and Jerusalem artichokes! So lots of us are consulting for recipes; I will let you know the results.....

No comments:

Post a Comment