Sunday 9 June 2013

Flaming June

O.K. It is my fault if the temperature plummets or it rains; I have stripped every bed in the house of everything, washed the lot- and dried it all outside. I am one of those old fashioned people ( my mother's advice and I still think it holds good) who puts woollen blankets on the mattresses of beds; I reckon it stops any draught coming through from below particularly from under divans; a hip tip! prevents the joint aching that wakes you in the middle of a winter's night). Yes I do have the obligatory mattress covers and valances- and on our bed because I am a delicate little flower, we have a memory foam layer too- I sound like the Princess who could feel the pea below umpteen mattresses! Anyway I grasped the nettle- come on- it is June! In trepidation I removed the 9 tog duvet and replaced it with the 4.5. That makes it sound so easy!
I dislike the whole business of decisionmaking on when and if! If it were done, it were best it were done quickly- and it has been. We moved the furniture to get at the drawers under beds which contain the bedding for the opposite season; we stripped beds and rolled the out of season replacement drawer contents while the washer chugged, the line was draped in wool blankets, mattress covers, valances, sheets, duvet covers, pillow slips..... but it was worth it to crawl into lightweight, fresh, cool, cotton sheets.

The sun has been warm though air temperature was still a little on the chilly side for June. Nevertheless everything was dry in a short space of time and everything is shipshape and Bristol fashion.
Considering the lack of time for domestic duties this last few weeks, even the garden is looking a tad more sorted. There I was, bum in the air, a vision in the borders, weeding feverishly while above my head the blue tits were agitatededly trying to chirrup me away from the nesting box fixed to the silver birch.

I have lots of thoughts of subjects I intend to blog but I never get to the study to type as we have been so busy. Yesterday we went up to Tweedmouth (yes on the south bank of the River Tweed opposite Berwick) to a gallery showing of a friend's art work. It was a canny shank but worth it- Andrew Watchorn's work is now on public opening so if you are up that way get yourself to the Berwick WatchTower- this bricked up, castle like building was apparently the most northern 'Kingdom Hall' for the Jehovah's Witnesses' and is now a privately owned, lovely gallery.

Right I am going to do my exercises- my neck still reflects a car accident of 2 years ago when D3 and I were looking to buy teatowels- honestly - I ask you- do I live a mundane life?!!
Oh and I am currently (not currantly!) making a double batch of cheese scones to take to a 'casual light lunch'. Better go check they have not gone the way of my (reputed to be always over done) pizzas- Well- can I help it if I am so busy I am doing half a dozen things at once? I defy any man to multitask the way I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment