Monday 9 September 2013

A local trip



campanula





Although I am a Novocastrian or Geordie ie a Newcastle upon Tyne native ( well actually I am a Geordie Northumbrian! but I'll not get too pedantic!) and know lots about my city, I have never been on the Hop On Hop Off bus till today; £6 for an allround one hour trip- unless you hop off at different tourist attractions; to get back on just make sure you hang on to your ticket to show the drive as you reboard the bus; it was interesting and gave enough information to satisfy (without inundating passengers or boring us).

mock orange with a beautiful perfume

We wound our way round Newcastle and Gateshead, only hopping off for a lunch break on the Quayside; the day's solitary downpour missed us as we were dining in the Pitcher and Piano.

Rose of Sharon- hypericum


If you want to see the Millennium Bridge go up, check out the times on the noticeboard inside the glass buildings above the hydraulic rams on the side of the 'Blinking Eye'.

dianthus


I have finished reading 'Wolf Hall' at last; since I have been unable to do much in the way of work for the last few weeks I have taken a lighter break and read ' Call the Midwife' by Jennifer Worth but now I am ready for my next tome....
Perpetual sweet pea


Now where is Nelson Mandela? On 'A long walk to freedom'..... here goes..... this may take me some time....

The Alnwick Rose
Our Alnwick Rose was bought for us for a Silver wedding present by a friend. I an going to be honest and say it is not my favourite rose because it is so densely petalled (which a lot of expensive David Austin roses are) that the bees cannot get into it.

Japanese anemone and a rose

 
Another Silver wedding rose in the foreground! We went to an old friend's 70th birthday (secret) party at Blaydon Rugby Club recently- we bought A. a rose to plant; the beautiful, fragrant, peachy-orange, tea rose  was called 'Warm Wishes'. I hope she enjoys the rose as much as I enjoyed the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment