Monday 2 September 2013

Summer has passed



While I have been so busy the sun has been beating down and summer 2013 has finished; it seems to have been like the summers of my childhood;



Junes were hot: walking across the Town Moor to mosey through the Hoppings in hot, dusty Race Week- guaranteed my sister would not come as it used to aggravate her hay fever- and thus it was I used to take her son every year and spare her the agony of streaming eyes and sore nose.


We have always drifted our way across the litter, stubbles of grass, bright lights, screams and smell of chips, hot dogs and candy floss. He and I always ended up for some reason at the freak show- to everyone else's perplexed looks.


July saw chalk marks on the tar to play hopscotch; Montakitty piled us on 'wild horses' against a wall; 'Knocky nine doors' caused temper in the adults along the street; Cannon was my favourite- I could hit that tin in the middle of the street and knock the ten sticks off neatly for easy getting back on; we were even allowed to stay out at dusk on non-school nights to play 'Jackie shine your light'.


We had hulas hoops, roller skates, -my dad made me stilts- and a sledge for winter snow. Outdoor games were many and fun though they often ended up with skinned knees or smashed front teeth! I wonder my parents didn't get fed up of the constant thud of my tennis ball racqueted like a Wimbledon champion on their gable end wall.


We had quiet pastimes too; we sat in porches swopping beads or stickers; jacks skinned your knuckles (but I was good at it); marbles disappeared down drains (sounds like 'Wor Geordie's lost his penker').

August was always balmy and close; we waited for the thunder to roll and the lightning to crack through a yellowed sky.

Tomorrow children are back to school; summer holidays 2013 have passed.

Unfortunately after loads of attempts I cannot upload my photos now so I am giving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment