Saturday 13 November 2010

Get real!

Magazines annoy me.....

Apparently everything happens in a 50 mile circle round London, or certainly in the South East.

No one there shops in Asda or Tesco but in gastronomic emporiums; everyone cooks with couscous, fennel, laksa paste and pancetta; those who eat mince, stewing steak and mashed spuds are so poor- and uncatered for in recipe books; have you ever tried to find a cookery book of '100 Mince recipes' and which is basic/easy, healthy and interesting? I have 3 bottles of balsamic vinegar in my store cupboard but do I know how to use them up?

Cool is designer or internet-bought and of course clothes and shoes cost a minimum of £350.

Britain has a temperate climate and is cold( particularly in winter and more particularly up North and over the border) not Mediterranean so flimsy tops? no thank you! Trendy, chunky sweaters have to dry outside or on a chinese laundry-type. drying rack indoors, preferably quickly before company arrives. Thick, 'rustic' jumpers have to go under a coat- Yes ! In daytime Newcastle we do wear coats sometimes.

Look a little further north over your cappucino froth and see us.

I love mince and dumplings, turnip and cabbage- how do you eat yours? with a sprinkling of nutmeg in my turnip (H1 calls it swede- is he trying to be posh?!!) We eat loads of veg- imagine us being aware of health issues- but I reckon lots of us believe in local and seasonal so avoid air miles where possible. Magazine journalists won't believe it but I am typical of a lot of folks out in the provinces-fairtrading, recycling and environmentally friendly in such as energy consumption and cleaning products.

BUT I am an ordinary Briton, frugal and recession aware;I am not a banker with untold oodles of money drawn unethically from the minions; thus I use Ponds moisturiser, Simple soap and Boots No.7. My 'notes' are provided by Youth Dew and Chanel No.5. I apply these products in pink ,beige and blue bathrooms with matching tiles; my bath is not a clawfooted, drapery but has functional shower curtains which prevent a splashed carpet- I do not live in envy of Tuscan style.



I walk lots as spas are part of someone else's world! Gyms are boring and frankly, in these days of recession, are often the first thing to be disposed of on the financial accounts.

My chic is provided by Asda and M&S- normal size not 'Autographed' and slimlined- but mostly under £30. Handbags may be Radley, Fenwicks or Accessorize. If the cap fits- wear it- Thinsulate (from the local garden centre?) for walking and berets big enough for my head or earmuffs to prevent ear ache from where ever is cheap. I suppose I buy where I encounter what I need and I believe 'designer' is a big con which you fall for if you have money- and I don't know what you are talking about (and why) when you quote a name at me- Who?

At 5'3" and size 14/16, I do not look like Cheryl, Sharon or Cat so what about making and advertising clothes for the majority ie ordinary women? What about an article about clothes that are not consistent sizes (when a 14 here is not a 14 there- and is the reason why shopping is a nightmare)?

If you want me to come down to discuss these magazine articles with you , I stay in Holiday Inns and B&B's at £35 a night , not in Rue La Fayette hotels.

Magazine editors- get real!

No comments:

Post a Comment