Tuesday 9 November 2010

Remember, remember....

Remember, remember , the fifth of November
Gunpowder ,treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot.

I reckon the GunPowder Plot was a setup! In 1605 the Catholics and Puritans were hoping James Stuart(VI of Scotland and I of England-who inherited the English throne after the Tudor dynasty ended) with his mother's(ie Mary,Queen of Scots) French connections would be more 'understanding' of different religions but were disappointed so.....
Robet Catesby and friends including the mercenary soldier Guy Fawkes, piled up gunpowder under the House of Lords in the care of Fawkes; if all gunpowder came from the military powers-that-be then their plot was known about!!! Thus Guy was found and hung,drawn and quartered (ugh!)and the Catholics were discredited. The House of Lords did not go up in a bang but we remember, remember.......

So we all went as I always do, to a large firework display in memory of what might have boomed and doomed the King and courtiers; I go into my second childhood of wonder. How do the circles so high consist of alternate colours? How do the first ring of flares then throw out a second ring of sparkles all in the correct place, not mixed greens and reds? I oohed, aahed and guessed the colours about to burst forth with each shot heavenward into a black, autumn, night's sky. I don't think a guy was thrown onto the bonfire this year- are the children of today too delicate to remember history as it was?

I wonder if that is why Catholics are not allowed to inherit the throne of England or be married to the sovereign?

No comments:

Post a Comment