Monday 15 November 2010

Stirring the pudding

My one weakness is Christmas puddings- Hmm! as well as mulled wine and sweet mincemeat. Thus I added more splatters to my trusty recipe book page last week.

4 oz raisins
4 oz currants
4 oz sultanas
4 oz mixed peel
2 oz almonds (I replace these with glace cherries- but if you can get chrystallised fruit from Spain etc chop those up & stick 'em in)
2 teasp mixed spice
2 oz plain flour
pinch salt
4 oz fine breadcrumbs (grate frozen bread!)
4 ozbrown sugar
4 oz shredded (veggie) suet
grated rind of a lemon
2 tablsp treacle (I do 1 tablesp & 1 of golden syrup)
2 eggs (beaten)
milk (&/or rum/brandy)

I also add a grated carrot and a grated apple to my pudding.

Pick fruit over; sieve together spices ,flour,salt. Add all dry ingredients; add eggs & liquids- stir 3 times to the east making a wish (& ask anyone else at home to stir the same way/number of times) then stick into 2 X 1pint bowls (leave room for your pud to rise up); actually I do one 1 pint Pyrex bowl and 2 small bowls- which H1 & I eat at Easter or thereabouts; we have just eaten the second - purely in the interests of emptying bowls to fill them for the next festive season! I cover the top (with a pleat in just as I was taught in Domestic Science)with greasproof paper then wrap the whole bowl (with pleat on top for optimistic expansion)up in foil & steam, store and eat with custard or icecream. I do pour a lit ladle of brandy over our pudding on Christmas Day but don't put any alcohol in the dessert itself.



Have you read 'Puddings' by Pam Ayres?

I was peeved to hear Twinings are moving to Poland from Tyneside and abandoning their workforce here; greed for profit forfeits principles and people.

This week's media made a lot out of the student demonstration against the huge hike up in university fees; most people recognise that the violence wasn't carried out by NUS and the general student body; these days it seems impossible to hold a demonstration in Britain without it is highjacked by others who have no interest in the cause but only in the anarchy and violence they can bring to disrupt peace and law. Oh but didn't the LibDems fib?

No comments:

Post a Comment