Wednesday 1 December 2010

Advent




Outside it has been nonstop blizzard and the sky is still full. Everyone is staying local; under scuttling umbrellas there are plodging, multi coloured wellies. D3 is yelling for help to get out of her wellingtons....



Hats are pulled down over ears and gloved, hooded figures scurry home to get warm. All the buses from the Haymarket have stopped (unannounced) at 7pm each evening. Lots of ice-filled, heavy gutters have fallen from their 'moorings'.



The muffled sound of scraping, bonny-coloured snow shovels punctuates the patter of hail on the window. I am going back to sipping mulled wine and writing Christmas cards.



I always used to buy my mother a poinsettia on December 1st; and she always used to give the offspring an Advent calendar- but no more; so we now buy them! Oooh! and D3 has rewarded me for the wellie haul with my very own Advent calendar.



Outside, footprints disappear like all our yesterdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment