Monday 29 August 2011

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness


The garden is sporting the last of the roses.... though the peace roses may continue to bloom through September and October.



As the nights are drawing in, the last few butterflies are drifting lazily past the lavender;I cut and dry the seed heads in the airing cupboard; later I usually place the heavily scented seeds in tiny bags - eg those given at hen parties or weddings- so I return them lavender-filled back to the bride or her mum.



Autumn bears fruit in terms of exciting celebrations as wedding invitations have arrived!



























I have bookcrossed 'Telling Tales' by Ann Cleeves (I couldn't put it down) and I have dug right into Alan Titchmarch's 'The Knave of Spades'; I have never really read a gardening book before.....

My friend C is extolling the virtues of her Kindle but I like the weight of a book- this one is a hardback! I enjoy the feel of turning the leaves of a book; the crispness of a new volume as you unstick the page edges; it is solid and holds so much promise as you pick it up from your bedside table and look for your bookmark lurking in the chapters. I can read it even on a sandy beach or where there is no WiFi; I can take it on a holiday and leave it where ever in the world I am; I can give it to a friend or I can Bookcross it leaving it to run wild.



The Ladies were supposed to walk the length of Druridge Bay but exchanged the exercise for relaxation- a picnic amid the sand castles!



Autumn is certainly arriving; the trees are turning yellow; the horse chestnuts are withering copper;there are loads of conkers. Are we in for a hard winter as the trees are laden with berries and fruit; apples glow rosy even on our little tree.



Yet I am surprised at the number of cereal fields still not combined- are farmers trying to give drying out time but keep getting caught out by heavy showers?



D3 and I have brought in OUR harvest though the tomatoes remain on the vines to redden up.


No comments:

Post a Comment