Monday 11 June 2012

Newcastle Fashion Week




I was too busy to attend what was on offer in the Fashion events throughout this week.



It was all very poorly advertised generally.



However D3 & I went to the Central Library to see a Tudor Fashion Show.



The commentary was made as the models came down the catwalk; facts of historical interest were made about each of the outfits.




Costumes were displayed based around Ann Boleyn (Henry VIII's 2nd wife & beheaded), her young cousin Katherine Howard (HenryVIII's 4th wife, also beheaded), Elizabeth I,




 Henry VIII himself and Mary Queen of Scots

who was kept as a guest in England (under the eyes of the Earl & Countess of Shrewsbury) by Elizabeth & finally beheaded at Fotheringay Castle; Mary may have been veiled and garbed in black for her execution but when she threw off her black outer garments , she was dressed in the red of a Catholic martyr.




 then the costumes moved into the Stuarts with James I (of England-VI of Scotland).

Julia , the designer, had just finished the silver costume ofJane Seymour (Henry VIII's 3rd wife who gave him a son to inherit but which son died young after ruling with a Regency) so although Julia herself modelled it, I did not get a photo of that for you.


That display was just the start of a great Jubilee weekend. I will tell you about that in a tick- well maybe tomorrow as there is an England match on telly!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't realise any of this was on, looks like it would have been fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous23.6.12

    Can I just say (as an expert on Hentry VIII!!Y Henry's, fifth wif was Katherine Howard and his fourth was Anne of Cleves - the Mare of Flanders. I know you know this mum so just to point out. Love D1 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Katherine is 5th! Maths is not my best subject but how did I make that mistake? I am a nit! Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves, Katherine Howard, Catherine Parr -Divorced, beheaded , died, divorced, beheaded, survived. Sorry folks!

      Delete