Thursday 28 June 2012

'Rain, rain, go away

Come again another day'
No! Do not come again for a while as we have all had enough of grey, wet days.

C and I went to try our walk along the Tyne to Warden again. The levee to stop the river flooding was radiant with buttercups.



I am going to have to venture out to plant my sunflowers (Huh! there's optimistic!)which D1 gave me at Christmas to plant in elephant dung- yes! you did read that correctly. Now they need to go outside as they are ' as high as an elephant's eye and it looks like they are climbing? right up to the sky' - that reminds me of my childhood when my parents used to play records (vinyl variety) of Oklahoma, Carousel, South Pacific and my favourite, Kismet.


Last night, after a day waiting for deliveries, I worked in the garden till 9 p.m. managing to plant all my begonias in hanging baskets and pots; I planted white Columbine (aquilegia or grannys' bonnets), 2 scented, climbing roses, a white, Grandiflora clematis, a plant from M which gives ground cover with tiny purpley/blue flowers, another anonymous, small, yellow flowered plant with fine, feathery foliage.




I bought the latter at Cragside when D3, H1 and I went to view the rhododendrons in full bloom. We circled the top lakes with a hint of blue above us- but it did have a momentary shower so we stood under the trees till it passed over. Needless to say we hit the formal gardens between clearance and replanting - as D3 and I always do; however the Olympic theme was being set out in succulents.


The broom was like a bright sparkle of light but isn't it late? I suppose altitude has delayed it.




and the lakes were brimful to overflowing



Every time we go to Cragside we wonder what these plants are around Nelly Moser lakes which are either berried or in flower depending on season. But as always H1 did not have the wild flower identification books in the car boot!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5.7.12

    Kismet was my favoutite too, Hope the rain stays away today as there are things to be done outside (but I doubt it)
    love M xxx

    ReplyDelete