Friday 3 May 2013

Departures

Three funerals in a week and a move. The generation above us are off to J.M. Barrie's greatest adventure yet. But it is sad for those they leave behind.
I have just heard from a great friend that she is moving South -ie has to go for some good reasons- but I am selfishly sad; I will miss her- and that is the third gone- L west to Penrith; M south to Gainford and now A to Kent; and try as we might we are unable to meet up.
I have been hopping in and out of the RVI to see my good friend M. and found my ballet teacher in the bed opposite.

The wheels of life are turning, season by season.....
The babyboomers born at the end of World War II 1948 ish  are now in their 60s and the generation above them are in their 80s and  starting to die off.. The babyboomers' offspring are in their 30s and due to pursuit of careers have delayed having their children ; but now babies are bursting onto the life scene. I am looking at 4 generations and my age group are caring for the second time around ie helping with childcare as their children go out to work.
Do they need to? Is it life expectations which cause them to go back to the workplace? Do they need to 'keep up with the Jones's'? Do they need the next bit of technology ? Is it the recession? We started off with nothing much but we have  been a very lucky generation haven't we?

Now we are going to wave our Dutch friends off down the Tyne and across the North Sea to home.
Another departure.....

No comments:

Post a Comment