Thursday 2 May 2013

She flies through the air with the greatest of ease.....

Eeh! I had to laugh!
Cycling as the 'security guard' to D3 while she is running means I temporarily leave urban environs and move through suburban countryside.
Over the flush of green hawthorn hedge I can see fine tilth of recently ploughed and refined soils. In the fields I sometimes glimpse deer; in distant floodwater ponds I spot swans, white dots near the Nature Reserve we fought so hard to retain. Left of my nongloved hand (mistake but it was a warm evening) I see orange tiles and know the hubbub is of  busy roads between teatimed homes.

The day before yesterday 'pastoral' views went haywire. Manoeuvring between a 5 bar gate and verge I went head over heels. I managed to thrust my bike left while I acrobated right headfirst over the handlebars. My head and hands met the nettles and my knee met the track and skinned- I have never had such knees since I was a bairn playing skippy or chasey in the street.I was stung hands and face (I told you the gloves would come back into the tale) but at least my eyes did not get speared by hawthorn branches!
Later I went to a Save the Children meal and interesting talk on 'Coffee Johnny' (he of the Blaydon Races - our local anthem) and - as a reward for being a brave girl?- I won a raffle prize of a beautiful blue hydrangea; it is a houseplant eco grown and which can go out in the garden later; this is just as well as I think I have overpruned one of my lace-edged hydrangea and will need to replace it; but I am waiting patiently to see if I have killed it off or will it show signs of life.

Everyone walking at Bellingham was talking of how their spuds have not chut (M decided that had to be the past tense of chit- rather than chitted- either way farmers do not chit their potatoes before planting) so we have all just stuck them in- better late than never. We also got stuck in to the cheese scones and wadges of cake- get yourself up to the Heritage Centre and climb aboard the train coaches for afternoon tea or at least a slice of something.

Hurrah hurrah it is the first of May, at last Spring is on its way- or so says H.
Certainly H1 is still graphing our PVs' sunlight electricity production by the hour. Considering I pushed for alternative energy for 28 years, it is his life which seems enriched and excited by the monitoring of electricity made/used and sent back to the Grid. We have our Dutch friends arriving soon to stay over as they cycle the Reivers Route again from coast to coast. B hopes to discuss PVCs- and I am sure H1 will oblige!
H1 is OK with nuclear power but I am not. It is not something I want to leave for future generations. The Government has just given permission (after 25years refusing to allow the building of more nuclear power stations) for 12+ nuclear power stations- do we want one up here? NO! I know of beautiful coastal bays which have been geologically 'measured up' for a nuclear plant- and I know of shelved plans to dump nuclear waste in the Cheviots- I do not want those plans revived.

No comments:

Post a Comment