Sunday 5 May 2013

St. Aidan's Flower Festival


I used to do it years ago and even did a nightclass in Ikebana for a year! I have always fancied having another go at flower arranging so I am a sucker for flower festivals;


thus when I read St Aidan's Church were celebrating their 50th anniversary with a Flower Festival I had the opening hours all jotted down on the calendar.


We had a lazy lunch and rather than tending my own garden I went to have a gander at other peoples' efforts.



Past the prefab hut built to look like the original 'church' .........and through a door framed by balls of cream roses into a porch with a golden pedestal


and a gaily coloured wreath hanging on the door.


A Christmas wreath recollecting an early celebration at Northern Rugby Club
 What a welcome we were given!

Furnished with explanatory leaflets distributed below hymn shelves topped by orange roses we examined each display.
Bread and wine were symbolised




                                                       
Marriage was represented                                 
                                                         
Music played

Baptismal waters flowed over the font



While words from every book in the bible were delivered from the lectern



Saint Aidan stood as though on Lindisfarne

and even the clergy were represented


It seems the community who play together eventually may pray together- they had so many  activities from creche, Brownies, craft and art groups going on for the locals.

There were dozens of people who had sponsored the flowers eg all the blooms which decorated every window sill representing the Psalms

I really liked the Bishop's chair. Do you?

Alliums were definitely the order of the day. They have become popular in the last couple of years in gardens and on stationery; I am quite amazed that I have managed to grow some in my borders but I'd better wait till the heads open before I crow- Pride comes before a fall.....
A welcome cuppa and meetings with lots of old friends completed a delightful visit.
Now where in the Bank Holiday sunshine?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8.5.13

    Thank you for displaying our flowers so well. So pleased you enjoyed your visit.
    From
    Happy flower arranger

    ReplyDelete