Monday 14 July 2014

Restaurant reviews

A dear friend reported that he and his wife liked my 'reviews' of afternoon tea in  venues in Newcastle and requested that they would like me to do some recommendations of restaurants & cafes in the city too. Wow! That gives me a licence to eat!! Well someone has to do it!

We tend to eat at the same place frequently- do I want those places which are already packed due to popularity- to get too full for us to get in?!

We have eaten recently at La Vina (Grey St) , La Tasca (Quay Side) Piccolinos (on Trinity Gardens near Quayside/Law Courts) all of which I have reviewed on Trip Advisor- none were among the best places I have eaten in. We do quite like Zizzis if we are going to the Theatre Royal. We have not found any faults with Basilico in Gosforth. I have not been to Jesmond Dene House in ages for lunch or dinner because in spite of their reputation, years ago I had 2 very unsatisfactory lunches there. Eslington Villa has to be one of our best rendezvous'  still over many years. Maybe we might have a go at Jamie's, Browns, and some of the new places opened recently as well as Iguana, Café Rouge etc which we have not been to in for ages. Whilst I think Barluga is overpriced for tiny portions, last weekend someone advised me to try upstairs so maybe.....  Of course I like the coffee rooms at the Tyneside Cinema but I told you that a few blogs back. I heard drastically poor reviews of afternoon tea at the Baltic last Sunday- expensive, poor and take no regard for food to which one is allergic or unable to eat due to pregnancy (both of which had been rung in days before guests attended).

For a reasonably priced lunch in town I like Cloisters at St Mary's Cathedral and Coffee Bean downstairs in Old Eldon Square. For a coffee 'Johann's' in Fenwicks is central. I used to like the vegetarian restaurant 'Supernatural' but sadly it is no more.


No comments:

Post a Comment