Tuesday 12 March 2013

'The Mousetrap' and 'Lincoln'

I really did think somewhere in my blog I mentioned that we'd been to see 'The Mousetrap' but I can not find it so maybe I dreamed it.  I often plan what I might write about then when I get to my desk there is nothing of any consequence to tell you, even though it seemed pretty interesting in the wee small hours when I am an insomniac!

To go back to 'The Mousetrap'.... H1 and D3 have waited so long to see this- Agatha Christie fans both. Me? I can take it or leave it. So I booked us in at the Theatre Royal after 60 years of waiting. We were not impressed; all of the opinion that while the set was good, frankly an amateur theatre group could do it just as well- and NO! I won't tell you who dun it.

Having tried to find a spare minute for weeks to go to see 'Lincoln' we managed to creep into the Gate to a tiny studio and just before the film disappeared off the popular screens;  I studied and loved Tudors and Stuarts but it would have helped if I had known more about how the American political system worked particularly back then.
Ok.... so Lincoln (a clever man -I knew that; a story teller to diffuse situations of tension; a man who kept in touch with the common people; apparently a family man- and seem to understand that losing a child can make a woman overprotective) wanted to stop the Civil War between N and S; yep! so far so good ....the South confederacy had slaves so he quietly delayed any conciliation with the South over the war and (here's where I am not with it) attempted to get enough votes in the Senate to stop slavery (his other desperate wish). Was that the 13th Amendment? thus if the South had no slaves, then the freed blacks would no longer fight for the South any more so the South would lose the war and it would end anyway so Lincoln would get both his wishes. Is that what it was all about?

I do not usually like Daniel Day Lewis (bit too intense for me) but I could see why he got the Oscar for Lincoln.

Phew! I am away for a cuppa

No comments:

Post a Comment