Sunday 10 January 2010

Footprints in the snow

We are currently using H1's car as it is heavier than mine so better in snow- and anyway I have sat and frozen twice over Christmas while awaiting rescue by the AA; then my car has been in the garage for repair- and subsequently it was snowed into our garage. Apparently Ford cars have a common fault according to the AA man; clutch pedal is not clipped and 'snaps' when it decides not to go through its proper route to the master cylinder(?); this has been modified on more recent Fords acc to AA man........

We made it out on Friday for more provisions & a coffee shop trip- whereupon my fellow escapee fell in the snow & ice- worrying. Neighbourhood friends made it over to ours that night (& even brought supper!)- you probably heard us playing table football then them leaving at 2 a.m. I managed to 'tidy up' the mulled wine.

On Saturday we managed to get to D1's to play Articulate and 221B Baker Street (never partner H1 in the former- he thinks his partner shares his random brain)-as Holmes, D1 trounced the rest of us - She was back with all the answers while the rest of us hardly knew the game was afoot. We also walked for drinks at friends' then a gang of us walked to the local Indian restaurant for the second neighbourhood Christmas night out as some hadn't made the first celebration. Apologies to all those residents awoken by singing while waiting for A's bus!!! We had a really good night.

Over the last few days we have had mystery footprints through the drift of snow in the porch- possibly a fox (I prefer that idea to all the local cats visiting us) and we have definitely had deer in several of the streets.

Today's thaw saw me out clearing paths so we can get out of our corner of the street.

I can't believe I can be prosecuted for clearing paths (if someone slips ) and I can be prosecuted for NOT clearing paths (if someone slips)- whatever happened to the England where we all cleared paths (& those of our elderly neighbours) with no fear of litigation or accusation. I am very fed up with England's political correctness and the 'Health and Safety ' laws apparently imposed on us by European legislation- are we the only people who observe European law? I heard that in France one is legally bound to clear your footpath- is this true?

I found tinsel which I missed in the post-Christmas clear up; H1 is not amused at having to clamber back up to the boxes in the loft.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11.1.10

    Hello, Jude here!

    I have no idea about France, but in some US states I believe it is illegal not to clear the sidewalk in front of your house.

    ReplyDelete