Tuesday 23 February 2010

Gosforth High School

The Ladies were not walking today as snowy & icy. After more painting I went with a friend to see 'The Lovely Bones'; I wondered how they would film this book- when given this book I almost turned it down as its subject was not my thing; however once started I could not put it down. Susie drifted around in the ether a lot in the film- but a 12A !! We supposed if it warns girls how easy it is to trust people when you shouldn't then ........ I was exhausted when I came out of the Gate as I found it somewhat scary and worrying.

Later I went to Trinity lecture on the future of Gosforth High School/Federation. When Gosforth West went into special measures ,Gosforth High senior management team joined them- it is now Gosforth Junior High! They are also possibly going to federate Archibald Street First school too.The new build is in tandem with Newcastle City Council. I did ask the speaker (Catherine ? an ex Northumberland head of English & King Edward VI deputy- now a vice principal!!) When I asked what sort of environmental things were being built in to all the new build of both schools- only a bio mass boiler in Gosforth Junior High- nothing else ; BFI i.e.Building Schools for the Future- I don't think so! . So disappointing- a new generation of buildings for the citizens of the future & nothing solar, windpowered, natural light for learning, no ground heat pumps, no use of rain water; obviously students may not learn from those who were involved in the buildings' designs! Building for the Future? What future?
While aware of the traffic problems in Gosforth, the architects, builders & education partners had no answers other than they were required to have a 'drop off' point.

No comments:

Post a Comment