Saturday 20 March 2010

Deer, Daphne and our Lord Collingwood

England is covered in snowdrops; multicoloured crocus are carpeting lawns eg at South Gosforth roundabout- multicoloured except in my garden wherein I planted a mix 2 years ago but this year they have come up mainly purple!

H1 could see why Admiral Lord Collingwood has always been my hero after attending a talk on him this week; the Discovery Museum has an exhibition on him at present for the 200th anniversary of his death; a Northumbrian to be so proud of- and who loved his country and his county!

Gibside provided P&I with lots of forestry clearance, 3 deer sightings, the best cheese scones- and once again we had their beetroot cake; I dislike beetroot but this is delicious- why don't the National Trust sell this recipe- how to use up beetroot (ugh!) and local produce (without air miles); I shall blog it for you.

We walked from & to St. Oswald's Tearoom near Heavenfield (my favourite place) amid snowdrops particularly near Middle Brunton woods.

P cooked 'The Ladies' a beautiful meal; where do women get husbands who do much of the cooking?- and have the kitchen completely cleared up by the time the guests have gone; I think I should put H1 in in part exchange. When I used to do dinner parties I couldn't even get H1 to do the wine- so last minute & silently (& under pain of death if his weeny contribution was not made)), he used to put white wine in the freezer then forget about it till the bottle cracks all over the freezer.

Carlin, Palm and Paste Egg Day are the Sundays coming up- I need to learn how to cook the traditional carlin peas which used to get put out in North East pubs on this day. What design should I think up for my pace egg?

I planted my Christmas gift from M- a Daphne- in the garden; it was giving the garage a beautiful perfume.

No comments:

Post a Comment