Wednesday 21 April 2010

For England and Saint George!

2010 is passing so quickly... my Mother's Day balloons are wilting; my poinsettia(British, so hardier?) is thriving & still Christmas red but green leaves are appearing too.... I will expect you all to be in red and white on Friday April 23rd for St George's Day!! Also Shakespeare's birth and death day.

Icelandic ash is giving the election campaigns a run for their money; Hah! I kind of applaud Mother Earth who has just said to mankind (especially all those folk who use planes like taxis without considering the damage)- 'You thought you were in charge of the earth BUT- here is a reminder that I am- so look after me' Since most religions have a version of Genesis Chapter 1 wherein humanity is told to be good stewards of the earth we should all share Earth care- Thursday is Earth Day. Yes, I know if the offspring were living abroad I would have to fly once a year(ish) but otherwise H1 knows I don't fly unless I have to- and for several reasons. Also I think Britain is beautiful; each season is different and I think we should invest in this island's economy rather than elsewhere.


On Sunday H1 and I went to Greenhaugh to walk- but rain splattered so we visited Tower Knowe at Kielder watching the wealth of finches on the bird station outside the cafe; then we sat in a viewpoint above the lake & read the Sunday papers; we called in at the Holly Bush Inn & were made as welcome as last time.

D3 and I went to see a brilliant production of 'Laughter in the Rain' the story of Neil Sedaka, at Sunderland Empire; they may now get better shows than the Theatre Royal but south of the river they are a bit lacking in theatre etiquette! Surely if you have to come along the rows with plastic pints you should go to the pub not the theatre!-especially when the 'lads' dribbled on the lady in front. Folk got up in mid show to move along and out of rows. Grr! Bobbity Boo in front of me bobbed her head from side to side (not quite in time to the fantastic music) throughout the show.... and-WARNING-they charge £3.50 a ticket (not transaction) if you are buying by telephone.


I will look upon the shoe tree in Heaton Vale with a different eye now having finished 'The Taxi Driver's Daughter'. Julia Darling gives a quirky but perceptive view of family life in Newcastle upon Tyne with the inclusion of tiny but meaningful details; I shall be careful what I say to taxi drivers from now on too.

Herding Hill Farm tearoom provided us again with BEAUTIFUL cakes after a sunny 7 miles in Hadrian's Wall country.

No comments:

Post a Comment