Thursday 15 April 2010

Julia Darling

One of Iceland's volcanoes has put dust in the upper atmosphere stopping UK flights- is that summer over ?!

Our Basilico outing included a discussion of books; thus K arrived with 'The Taxi Driver's daughter' written by Julia Darling and set in Newcastle upon Tyne.... so far very good; she was the friend & business partner of Ellen Phethean in setting up a publishing house to get womens' literature published. Which reminds me today is my sister J's birthday though in her lengthy, unaccounted-for silence she has been no Darling!

More gifts at walking-a homegrown leek and veggie recipe from H and seedlings of a dark hellebore (Lenten Rose) from K; I have planted the latter (and a rhubarb tuber) already- and found the blackbirds had done what I forecast & pulled out all my sweetpea seedlings. Forsythia glows everywhere; Whittle Dene banks are drifted with primroses and cowslips; we are purpled with violets and daubed by tulips. H1 'tested' a pint of Matfen Magic and (rivalling Gibside's) cheese scones at the Brewery.



On yesterday's walk I overheard a gentleman talking about how he hadn't spoken to his daughter since 2003- SNAP! I felt like telling him 'life is too short' when he said she'd asked to visit him in hospital & he'd turned her down.

We have lost a good friend this week- in the silence of my extended family M chatted to me- in the supermarket, in the street and at all our social gatherings; my friends are good and I will sorely miss M.

The election 2010- May 6th seems along way away ; the media have it wrong; they tell of Joe Public's indifference to the campaigning etc., but in fact the public are wanting to vote but consider politicians unworthy of precious votes. Why reward them when they seem to have led us into recession and claimed massive expenses?

I don't feel immersed in melancholy but this reads like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment