Saturday 10 April 2010

Philippa Gregory , the Bowes-Lyons and gardens

I have finished reading 'The White Queen'; those Plantaganet relationships were so complicated and each generation was a collection of the same names- Elizabeth, Edward, George, Richard etc. Hmm! bit of a new slant on the Princes in the Tower.....

Ridley Hall was the base for the walk on a beautifully warm day this week; scones, jam and cream meant that hill seemed so much steeper than if I had been in my sylph-like , pre Egg slimness. This home of the Bowes Lyons brought back memories of 35 years ago-of being announced as 'The Lady.....' on those stairs by David Mannion. It must be a 'how the other half live' experience for those students of Haydon Bridge High School who board here among the beautiful wood carvings. The grounds of the Hall and Beltingham Church provided a glimpse of Bowes Lyons life; yes! The Queen Mother did call in at times.

At last I was able to get in the garden though DIY stores did their damndest to stop me. I have planted up my first box of spuds. I think sweet pea pods are poisonous yet I have planted sweet peas , mange tout and french beans in sections along the squared fence; H1 had better watch out! Early on tonight he mentioned us going for a drink but after we had given lifts to Ds who were going on the gallivant, he declared a need to go straight to Asda for a takeaway- the drink had obviously disappeared from his starving?! brain, Grr! So much for still courting when you are married. I hear David Cameron and the Tory party might give us tax breaks in order to reward us for connubial bliss- it better be loads of dosh- don't you think, M?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I think the money the Tories are giving us married couples works out at £3 a week, roughly 2 pots of tea at Mels........

    ReplyDelete